Tuesday, October 20, 2009

How I see it.



If you stare at the center of this photo you can get a vague idea of what my eyesight is like. Of course, it's much more complicated than that. I think it looks somewhat like something from the old TV Star Trek - the one with Shatner. Flashing and swirling purple and yellow lights.

When faced with a pattern, my brain draws in the missing peices - and almost never gets it right. I can stand a few yards awayin front of a person with their back to a brick wall, and all I will see is a brick wall. The same is true for the pattern of words. Reading long words is a chore because my brain is constantly filling in what it thinks the next letter should be. Traffic signals and ped signals are visible only i the periphery.

For me, one of the most frustrating things is not being able to recognize faces, even up-close. I have said things to people that I shouldn't have because I thought they were someone else. Now I mostly do what everyone else does - keep my mouth shut and keep moving. That seems to suit everyone just fine.

You can see why I can't drive a car. It has been a blessing in desguise, for sure. Brought me here - was the basis for so many descisions in my life that turned out well. Now I am just looking to Montgomery County and Maryland to keep their promise to make Places like Silver Spring ESPECIALLY PEDESTRIAN FRIENDLY. I am here to tell you that things are bad, and likely to get worse before they get better. More on "SMART GROWTH" later...

No comments:

Post a Comment