Friday, May 27, 2011

A Pedestrian Plans his Weekend

Being a pedestrian requires planning. Coping as a walker in a car-world isn't easy. There is no hopping in the car and dashing off to the store to pick-up a few things. On the contrary, I try to do most of the shopping for the week at once - on Saturday morning. This involves pushing one-hundred pounds of groceries back from sSfeway in a cart.



Now that it is Friday afternoon, and the sidewalks around my home look like this, How am I going to get the groceries home tomorrow morning? Both passages to my home are blocked - one by a missing sidewalk panel, and the other by exposed cables and a pile if sand.

Planning ahead - I guess I will take a rake out there and smooth out the pile so that I can cross at the crosswalk. otherwise, I suppose I will have to cross mid-block in front of my home.

Either way, I have to change my routine.

I watched yesterday as a crew of men worked on theses panels. They were moving very slowly, and did not complete there work. Now that it has become evident that the work will not be completed by this Memorial Day weekend, the neighborhood will have to deal with this obstruction for another five days, at least.

The timing couldn't be worse. The planning couldn't be slacker.This is another example of outrageous insensitivity and shows a lack of concern for public safety. Way to go PEPCO.

Some of the work was completed, but a lot is still left to do. Some poles remain, some panels still have asphalt. Some panels still have sink holes.




No comments:

Post a Comment