Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Ice Ice Baby


I have heard a lot over the years about the slippery brick paving of the sidewalks along Fenton Street. Personally, I have never experienced slipping on these walkways - although I do have LOTS of other problems with them.

People tell me that they are treacherous during rain or ice, and I believe them.

The other day my wife and I went to the Safeway to stock-up for the impending inclement weather. The snow was just beginning to fall steadily, and on the way back I noticed that the ice was sticking to the brick, but not yet showing on the concrete. The bricks were, in fact, slippery. The concrete was fine. I took a few photos to show.

These bricks are treacherous. They are uneven in places - and these places seem to have no reason other than aesthetics. I imagine they have some curb appeal, but they are trouble for pedestrians - especially those with disabilities. Especially during inclement weather - when people should be expected to walk. While the streets are treated to melt the ice, the brick sidewalks may go for days without attention - if they ever get any at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment