Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sligo Nine

I can't believe it, but I am once again involved in initiating another infrastructure rehabilitation project. Yes, once again, I talk with the public utility, and they have no idea what to do about ADA. Once again, I actually put WSSC in contact with MCDOT through email. Thanks to Councilmember Ervin's office, who put me in touch with WSSC.

View Sligo Nine in a larger map
The point is, there is nothing in place to ensure that new infrastructure is replaced in compliance with ADA. This in effect prolongs the discrimination another thirty years. I have lived here for 15 years, and the sidewalks have always been bad. If I am the most tenacious advocate in the County, then things must be VERY bad.

Here are the nine fire hydrants on Sligo Avenue, just to be clear where they are and what they look like. I am naming them for members of the US Supreme Court.

Kagan

View Sligo Nine in a larger map

Sotomayor

View Sligo Nine in a larger map

Alito

View Sligo Nine in a larger map

Roberts

View Sligo Nine in a larger map

Breyer

View Sligo Nine in a larger map

Ginsburg

View Sligo Nine in a larger map

Thomas

View Sligo Nine in a larger map

Kennedy

View Sligo Nine in a larger map

Scalia

View Sligo Nine in a larger map

This reinforces my position that Montgomery County is not managing the public right-of-way properly, and is therefor discriminating against people with disabilities, like me. That WSSC and MCDOT have not had even a single discussion - that I am the initiator of that first discussion - means that nothing has changed since I filed a complaint two years ago this coming March 1st. The problem still exists. It has not been handled, or even addressed. It has been avoided.

I honestly think I may need to move.

Trying to make light of a situation that has me frustratyed and down - feeling like I am just wasting my time fighting city hall. Sorry for the weak humor...

3.8.12;

I missed one. I named it Curly...


View Sligo Nine in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment